Sleeping bag - Your best friend through the night in nature
A sleeping bag is standard equipment for anyone spending the night in nature. All experienced campers and outdoor enthusiasts know that it's important to choose a sleeping bag that suits the conditions at hand. When spending the night under the stars or in a tent, you need a sleeping bag that will keep you warm and comfortable. Check out our great selection here.
When you choose a Nordisk sleeping bag, you'll easily find a model that suits the conditions you'll be using it in. You can see our wide range of sleeping bags above, and you can see which temperatures each model is designed for. Our range contains both down and synthetic fibre insulated sleeping bags in many sizes to fit adults with a body length from 150 to 205 cm, and junior sleeping bags for children that fit up to 150 cm.
The three most important things to know when buying a sleeping bag:
- The European EN 13537 standard is your guarantee that temperature ratings will hold up and can be compared to competing brands.
- Choose the right sleeping bag for the temperatures it will be used in
- The insulating material between the outer fabric and the inner fabric can be made of either natural down from ducks or geese or synthetic fibres. Read more about the properties of each in the article here.
When you buy a sleeping bag that has been tested to the European standard EN 13537, you can be sure it will deliver what it promises. EN 13537 specifies 3 different temperature measurements on each sleeping bag, which can help you see how well it performs in the outdoors.
The Comfort temperature indicates the temperature at which a typical woman will sleep comfortably in a relaxed position on a sleeping pad in a tent.
The Limit temperature indicates the temperature at which a typical man can sleep without waking from cold, still measured on a sleeping pad in a tent.
The Extreme temperature is the lowest temperature at which the sleeping bag protects you from life-threatening hypothermia. Frostbite is still possible at this temperature, but your organs are protected. In other words - be careful about using this temperature rating for anything other than emergencies.
In addition to the EN standard, Nordisk has also specified a special race temperature on selected bags. Unlike the aforementioned, which are all laboratory samples, the Race temperature is tested in the real world. Many athletes and adventurers use our sleeping bags for extreme races, long expeditions and in other contexts where weight is a crucial parameter and safety (and, let’s face it, official race directives) is more important than comfort. These trained athletes can use the Race temperature to find a sleeping bag that provides them with sufficient warmth and protection to sleep responsively, although awakenings may occur at the specified temperature.
If you need a sleeping bag in extreme conditions and very low temperatures, then a winter sleeping bag is the one to choose. Such a sleeping bag will be far too warm in spring and summer. So if you need to use the bag in higher temperatures, choose a summer bag. What temperatures the sleeping bag is designed for is shown in its specifications.
The shape of the sleeping bag varies from a normal sleeping bag that can be zipped up and used as a blanket, to more body-hugging mummy and curve-shaped models. Choose the one that best suits your purpose and that you find most comfortable to lie in.
Shopping guide for sleeping bags
When choosing a new sleeping bag, there are several parameters to look at. The most important thing, of course, is that the sleeping bag is comfortable to lie in and that you feel warm. Next, you need to look at weight and size, which can be important parameters if you're going on a long trip or if you need to move quickly.
- Temperature - As mentioned, choose your sleeping bag according to the temperatures it will be used in.
- Comfort temperature - This value indicates how low a temperature you can keep the heat down to.
- Upper temperature limit - This value indicates how warm it must be outside before the bag becomes too hot to lie in.
- Length - Make sure you choose the right length of sleeping bag to match the length of your body.
- Weight - For ultra-running or long hikes, weight will affect your energy consumption.
- Pack size - The size of the packed bag is also important when packing your backpack.
A sleeping bag will last for many years. So it would be a good idea to choose a model that suits the conditions you usually use it in. If you spend the night outdoors all year round, and therefore need to sleep in temperatures at both ends of the temperature scale, you may want to buy both a winter and a summer model.
Remember that you also need a suitable sleeping pad to ensure the best insulation and comfort when you sleep. Here you can see our range of underlays and our range of pillows.
Practical advice and tips on sleeping bags
Once you've chosen a sleeping bag, you're ready to go.
Here are a few tips on how to get a good night's sleep and get the most out of your sleeping bag.
- Shake the sleeping bag well before you crawl into it to aerate and distribute the filling. This provides the best insulation.
- Hop around a bit before jumping into the bag. Body heat will quickly fill the sleeping bag.
- If possible, zip up your sleeping bag and place it in the sun when you get up. This will make the moisture dissipate, and prevent sour smells.
- As a general rule, store your sleeping bag uncovered when you're not using it, possibly in a storage bag. This will preserve the filling's ability to expand.
- If you're sleeping in very cold weather, make sure you wear gloves, a hat and socks. This will prevent the heat from escaping from these parts of your body and make the rest of your body feel warmer.
- Wool underwear is very comfortable to sleep in, both summer and winter. Wool helps your body breathe and prevents you from sweating.
Check out the range higher up the page and find the model that suits you best. We have a large selection, and we're sure to have a Nordisk sleeping bag to suit your needs.